Generally, Kuala Lumpur is safe cities to travel, most of the people in Kuala Lumpur able to understand and speak good English, do not be shy to ask if you need any help. Beside that tourist also can get help or ask for direction from Police personal situated in major tourist attractions. However, as major city in the world Kuala Lumpur not escape from crime activity. The crime in Kuala Lumpur consider low and mostly done by drug addicts or illegal immigrants. The most common modus operandi use by this group is snatching by using a motorcycle focusing on pedestrian and pick pockets. The main item they targeted is camera and wallet. Below are few safety and health tips in Kuala Lumpur for your reference.
Safety Tips in Kuala Lumpur
- Do not leave your valuable item such as Video cam, Camera, luggage or any things unattended.
- Plan your travel ahead, such were to stay, the time you arrive, where to go, how to go before you travel in Kuala Lumpur. This will reduce your change to getting lost in the city or landed at the places you should not be. If you no idea where to go ask the professional such tour agents or hire a private tour guide.
- Get advice from your Hotel, nearest local tourist information office if you plan to visit the unscheduled place or attending any public functions.
- Use credit cards instead of cash where possible. Plan ahead how much you need to spend such for souvenirs, meals or etc, possible make full payment for Hotel or transportation while you’re at your country.
- Do not keep all your money or credit card in one wallet; you should keep some of your money or credit card in different pocket. Maybe you can consider a second wallet as dummy wallet whereby you can keep small domination money. If any things happen just let go the dummy wallet.
- Travel in a group wherever possible, especially if you are women.
- Always alert on surrounding area when walking on the street with any motorcycle approaching. Use pedestrian bridge whenever you can. Do not use a back lane especially at night.
- Keep your original passport in Hotel safe box, just bring your Photostat passport, don’t worry about Malaysia police, they are quiet lenient especially to the tourist and if you can show them the original copy in the Hotel. Always have your country Embassy in Kuala Lumpur contact number.
- Always bring your hard copy important contact number such as family, Credit Card issue Bank, Embassy, Hotels. This will use as reference for an emergency case.
- Had a local contact number, such as local tourist police or someone that able to guide and help when you’re in difficult situation.
- If you using public transport such Taxi or Buses, try to record down the registration number in case if you left anything’s in the vehicles much easy to track back the vehicle.
- Use the main entrance of the hotel when you arrive late at night.
- It is advisable to hand in the keys to your room at reception when going out.
- Always wearing a simple dress, avoid ostentatious displays of wealth.
- For safety reason, do not accept any drink offer from strangers, It’s not common practice in Kuala Lumpur people offering a free drink to strangers except for drink sampling done by drink supplier.
- Walk in confident even you are lost. React fast before you lost further.
- If you travel by using public transport such Bus or Monorail, be extra caution when a group of people suddenly approaching you.
The most important things, be nice and courtesy to everyone.
Healthy Guide in Kuala Lumpur
- Kuala Lumpur is a very high humidity city, humidity level 86% – 95%, you are advice to drink plenty of plain water, or you can take isotonic drink as alternative
- Most of Malaysian foods are spicy and hot, most probably you will get stomach upset on early stage, always bring medication for stomach upset or diarrhea recommended by your Doctor from your country
- Always consumed fully cooked food only, gets more information from your local guide about food ingredients before you try local food, especially if you had an allergic to a certain ingredient.
- If you on medication bring extra stock for few days, record down your medicine name and manufacture in case you misplaces it or you need to stay much more longer than expected.
- Wash your hand more often or use hand sanitizer as alternative.
- By following the guideline Kuala Lumpur safety and health tips we hope you will have a pleasant holiday experience in Kuala Lumpur.